Construction and installation of a double-girder bridge crane
Mitsubishi HiTec Paper Europe GmbH
Mitsubishi HiTec Paper Europe GmbH is a subsidiary of the Japanese-owned Mitsubishi Paper Mills and a member of the Mitsubishi Group. The company is a leading international manufacturer of specialised coated papers and its expertise as a high-quality papermaker is successfully combined with unrivalled production facilities. The manufacturing plants at Bielefeld and Flensburg produce about 180,000 tonnes of specialised paper goods a year, mainly in the form of thermal-printer paper, labels and stickers and digital imaging paper.
Fitting the paper rolls to the production machines called for a crane with two synchronised hoisting units with a lifting capacity of five tonnes each for smooth and even lifting and lowering operations. The crane installation was also to be designed for full access to all points.
The difficult installation environment ruled out using a standard crane unit. The crane location was on the first floor of the building and the new crane could only be installed via an opening in the floor. Each of the main crane components therefore had to be designed with this in mind.
The limited space presented a real challenge in terms of workplace accessibility and component dimensions. Blumenbecker Krananlagen Hamm therefore designed and built a special crane bridge to overcome these problems.
After undergoing trials in Hamm the crane was disassembled into its individual components, painted and shipped to Bielefeld. The old crane unit was dismantled, and its replacement installed, during a four-day production stoppage in October 2013.
Facts and figures:
- crane type: double-girder bridge crane
- ifting capacity/span width/lifting height: 10,000 kg/5.30 m/6.00 m
- crane weight (including trolley/trolleys): approx. 4,000 kg
- main girder: HEB200 Mat235
- load support structure classification: DIN 15018 H2B4
- number of hoists: 2 identical units
- crane gauge: 5,300 mm
- load bearing capacity: 10 t
- access: fully walkable
- hoisting gear classification: FEM M5 (2 m)
- lifting speed (rapid): 5.00 m/min
- part-load operation: 7.50 m/min
- overload protection
- NovaMaster Basic
- NovaMaster SWP
- NovaMaster Tandem
- speed sensor on lifting motor